If you have a leaking gutter, you will probably forget about the problem until every time it rains. The constant dripping of water on your conservatory roof is enough to drive a person insane. Over time you will crack and start asking yourself how much does it cost to have gutters repaired?
If the rainwater isn’t going to where its supposed to go, it can cause problems to your property.
The Most Common Problems With Gutters
Gutters can become a problem over time. In time, they will need some attention. It is a common problem for guttering to need repairing or replacing.
- Gutter gets full of leaves and mud
- Gutter sagging under the weight of rainwater or debris
- Poor fitted gutters not doing their job (avoid rogue traders)
- Rubber seals between sections of gutter have perished
- Sections of gutter missing
- Leaking gutter joints & holes
The problem with leaking gutters is the longer you leave it, the worse your problem gets. The dripping of rainwater against your wall below will cause damp in your home.
Having your gutter repaired as soon as possible can save you a lot of money in the future. You will save money by not having to tackle a problem with damp in your home. Damp treatment in your home is not cheap and always best avoided.
Gutter Replacement Costs
The cost for repairing a length of plastic gutter is approximately £30 per metre. If it is cast iron gutters that need to be replaced the cost can go up to as much has £60 per metre. The reason cast iron guttering is more expensive to replace is because it is much more difficult to remove cast iron gutters than to remove plastic gutters.
The Cost of Guttering Repairs
The cost of guttering repairs will depend on a few different factors. As you can imagine it wouldn’t cost as much to have, your gutters cleaned out as it would to as have all your guttering replaced.
- The cost of cleaning gutters out can range from £5 to £8 per metre depending on where you live. If you live in London, expect to pay more than if you lived in the north of the country. London prices are always higher due to the higher cost of living in the capital.
- If a section of gutter needs replacing or taken off and fitting by professional it should cost roughly £30 per metre. If you have cast iron gutters, they can be difficult to remove and replace than PVC ones. The price increases for the removal of cast-iron gutters to approximately £60.
- If you have a plastic downpipe you can expect to pay about £25 per metre to replace it. If you have cast iron gutters, the price increases to approximately £70 per metre. Prices vary depending upon where you live in the UK.
- Keep in mind that other parts of the gutter may need replacing too. Components such as end caps, brackets and leaf guards all have extra costs. Some jobs may need all the brackets replacing at approximately £13 per bracket. Some require 2 x stop ends to be fitted at each end of the guttering at the cost of roughly £12 each. The prices will be higher for cast iron gutters.
- The cost for replacing gutter joint where the two sections of the gutter meet can cost between £50-£120. You can expect to pay about the same to have the downpipe fitted to the gutter if that needed replacing too.
The reason guttering repairs seem quite expensive is because of the risk of working at heights. The more difficult the access to the leaking gutters, the more expensive it will be. When asking for quotes to repair gutters make sure you give as much detail about the job as you can. The tradesmen will want to know as much as possible, so they know how to tackle the problem. If it is too complicated for you to explain, it would be better to invite the tradesmen to your home and take a look themselves.
Gutter Repair or Replacement?
Whether you choose to have your gutters repaired or replaced is entirely up to you. In most cases, having your gutters repaired is much more budget friendly than having them or replaced. However, a gutter repair might not be a long-term solution. If you have a leaking gutter and it is fixed using gutter sealant it might only last for about five years before it needs repairing again.
Average Cost for New Gutters in the UK
The average cost of new gutters for a typical 3 bedroom semi-detached house would cost between £500 and £700. The type of gutters you choose will affect the price as well as how accessible the roofline is to replace them.
After carrying out extensive research I found the cheapest place for gutter repairs & replacements. If you would like a free no obligation quote for a gutter replacement or repair click here. All you have to do is answer a couple of questions and roofing companies will give you a free quote, usually within an hour or two. I go above and beyond to find you the best prices for roofing services!
Who do I Contact to Have my Gutters Repaired or Replaced?
You would usually call a roofing company to repair or replace gutters. Roofers are the best equipped to do this type of job. Some companies specialise in replacing gutters but they might not have the experience of working with all types of rooflines.
Choosing a Tradesman to Repair Your Gutters
You would be surprised at how many people have a fear of heights and would prefer to hire a professional tradesperson to do this job.
Even if you are a DIY enthusiast and heights are not a problem for you it is still advised you hire a professional for gutter repairs or replacement. Gutter repairs require knowledge and experience to complete the job successfully. Repairing cast iron guttering can be even more challenging to try to fix yourself. If you feel confident enough to go up ladders, by all means, clean out your gutters. Make sure you do it safely.
The best way of getting a tradesperson to repair leaking gutters or replace them at a reasonable price is to look online. The following bullet points will help you on your quest for finding a reliable and trustworthy tradesperson.
- Think very carefully if you receive gutter repair quotes that are much cheaper than the rest. Low quotes are usually the way how scammers and cowboys get their work.
- Make sure you give as many details as you can about the job so the tradesmen can give you an accurate quote.
- Only use trustworthy quotation websites for vetted traders.
- Never accept the first quote you receive. Standard practice is to get at least 3 quotes and comparing them to each other.
How to Choose the Right Tradesmen
Now is the time to sort through the quotes that you have and weed out the ones that seem too good to be true or too expensive. How do you choose the right tradesmen to repair your gutters out of the remaining quotes that you have?
Google is your friend here. Do some research and look for any online reviews of the tradesmen you are considering. Reading positive reviews from previous clients will allow you to make an informed decision.